Author Topic: Welcome and Introductions  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Jason R

• Administrator
    • Professional Portfolio
Welcome and Introductions
« on: Mar 17, 2015, 23:16 »
Hey all,

This is the place to say hello and introduce yourself. I'd like to welcome everyone to this online community and resource library.

If you just registered and you're reading this thread as a guest, check your junk email folders for updates on your registration.

Thanks and welcome to the board.

-Jason
  • Certification: Second-Class, 1A1
Forum Administrator
Q: "What's it like being a forum admin?"
A: "I spend more time struggling with a system, that has had no major updates since 2004, than I do posting."

Offline djlogan84

• VIP Member
Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2015, 10:00 »
He all, and Jason!

Thanks for having me on to join the conversation, and what for me I hope will be less of the BS that you get on the facebook groups! 

I'm fairly new to Ontario, and just finally finished transferring my certificate from BC to here.  I am 3rd class, with a millwright ticket.  My major experience is from serving aboard Warship in the Canadian Navy for 10 years as a Marine Engineer.  As well Have working in a very large Kraft mill, and a large heating plant at a hospital. 

I look forward to putting my 2 cents in, and please feel free to PM more or post direct questions, as I love to help.

Cheers
  • Certification: 3rd class

Offline Jason R

• Administrator
    • Professional Portfolio
Re: Welcome and Introductions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2015, 17:46 »
Hey djlogan84,

Welcome to the community! (I merged your original topic with this one, our main meet and greet thread.)

I really hope that will we have less BS here but sometimes a little BS is good thing to get conversations really going. 

As for me, since I haven't introduced myself yet, I am a third-class power engineer as well but working towards my second-class certification. I only have about four years of experience so I still consider myself a green horn that's willing to learn.

Forum Administrator
A: "I spend more time struggling with a system, that has had no major updates since 2004, than I do posting."

Offline ben

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2015, 06:58 »

Hi everyone,
I'm a shift engineer with 4 years of experience in combined cycle power plant operation, commissioning and start-up

I work in 2 independent single shaft combined cycle gas power plants with a total capacity of 900 MW (2x450 MW). At present responsible for the operation of the 2 plants consisting of the following:
   2 gas turbines, each of 295 MW with capability for natural gas or gasoil firing
   2 steam turbines, each of 150 MW
   2 heat recovery steam generators, triple pressure, each of 400 T/hr., 130 Bars, 570C
   2 hydrogen cooled turbo generators
   2 auxiliary boilers, each of 6 T/hr., 13 Bars, 350C
   2 desalination and demineralisation units, each of about 4500 Gallon/hr. of demineralised water
   The associated auxiliary equipment: water treatment, emergency diesel generators, etc.

I will be so happy to share with you my little experience and to learn from you
  • Certification: Shift engineer

Offline Nathan Skillen

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2015, 23:17 »
Hi Jason & everyone

I'm a 4th Class on the road to completing my 3rd class. I'm a student at Portage College (Lac La Biche, AB) and currently on a 8 month practicum at Devon Energy Jackfish 3 (SAGD). I'm getting experience in all units (steam generation, water treatment, oil treating and well pads) which is great for me to learn and take advantage of my time here during practicum as much as possible.

I'll be going back to school in January & February 2016 to write 3B1 and 3B2 to achieve my 3rd class certificate. Currently on the job search for an opportunity after February to keep learning!

Lots of well-written posts here by Jason, Joseph and others, definitely deserves more people here
  • Certification: 4th class (expected 3rd class by March 2016)

Offline Jason R

• Administrator
    • Professional Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2015, 17:29 »
Welcome to the community, Nathan.  :)
Forum Administrator

Offline AndyS

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2015, 12:10 »
Hey everyone,

Just thought I would introduce myself! My name is Andy, and I am currently a shift engineer for a mill in Richmond,BC. I am a third class, starting on my second class soon. I am also thinking of challenging some millwright exams, if anyone has any experience doing this?

We are pretty simple over here, basic firetube boiler at 180PSI, and a hot water heating boiler.

Hope everyone has a good week,

Cheers
  • Certification: 3rd class, working towards second class.
3rd Class - Shift engineer

Offline Jason R

• Administrator
    • Professional Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2015, 15:21 »
Hey @AndyS ,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to register an account and make a post.

- Jason
Forum Administrator

Offline Colin Farquhar

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2015, 13:14 »
Hello everyone, and thanks Jason for setting this site up!  It's always interesting to get other people's perspective on issues and problems we encounter.

A bit about myself:
-I've been working with antique hand-fired boilers since the age of 9, got my BC Antique Boiler certification at the age of 18 (first year it was available)
-Moved out to Manitoba a few years ago, went back to (night) school for my 4th class, got my firing time (mostly) from volunteering at a large heating plant in Winnipeg.
-Worked at a very large canola plant for 9 months, some changes in family situation required me to find a gig closer to home.
-Currently running a Class A office property, no steam unfortunately.
-Serving as VP with the Institute of Power Engineers
-Actively involved in both the traction engine and railway antique boiler world in MB
  • Certification: Fourth, 3B2 completed

Offline Jason R

• Administrator
    • Professional Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2015, 11:41 »
Welcome to the Power-Engineer.ca community @Colin Farquhar .

I know you're active in the other groups and I look forward to seeing your thoughts and comments here.

- Jason
Forum Administrator

Offline JonathanB

« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2015, 18:58 »
Hi all,

Really looking forward to reading up on the discussions and posts in here, and perhaps in time participating in the discussion as I learn more. I decided to go back to school for PE a couple of years ago when things were a bit more optimistic for 3rd & 4ths in the industry. The steam time hunt and networking that I have done were real eye-openers. I hope to rise above the market "flood" in time, but for now... here I am. I'm a bit of a shutterbug so i'll have to have a peek into what i've taken so far and see what's worth sharing on here.

Thanks to Jason R for creating this space. It's a wonderful resource I must say.

Cheers!
  • Certification: 4A/4B Passed & 4th Class steam time, check. Awaiting 4th class certification April 2016.