Author Topic: What should I do with this site?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Jason R

• Administrator
    • Professional Portfolio
What should I do with this site?
« on: Apr 30, 2016, 09:24 »
It's been about two years since I started up this forum and I've noticed that the growth in activity has become stagnant. I have a tough question now facing me now; where do I take the website from here?

I don't believe that I can compete with the Facebook groups (which is a problem faced by most online forums, not just this one). Facebook seems to be the center of the universe so this was to be expected :P.

Other power engineering forums seem to be attracting members by giving out exam banks and hosting PDF copies of copyrighted material, which are activities I promised myself to not allow here.

So this is what I am thinking:

- Have the forums be a subsection of the website (power-engineer.ca/forums or something like that) and have power-engineer.ca as my personal blog and work portfolio.

- Turn power-engineer.ca into a news website like boilerblog.ca (a web project I was involved with but it just died after a few months because there's very little Canadian power engineering news).

- Keep the forums as they are now and see if there's any growth.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think. I know we have many quiet members on the board and I hope to hear what you all think.

Thanks!

- Jason
  • Certification: Second-Class, 1A1
Forum Administrator
Q: "What's it like being a forum admin?"
A: "I spend more time struggling with a system, that has had no major updates since 2004, than I do posting."

Offline AndyS

Re: What should I do with this site?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:58 »
Hey Jason,

I wonder if there is a way to spread the word about this forum? although that does run the risk of the "question bank" savages taking over!

I check the site almost daily myself, so would love to see it stay, and work on building the active members. It could really be a great tool for networking, knowledge, or just general eyes into others experiences. IF it was to be taken away, the blog with attached forum would be great also!
  • Certification: 3rd class, working towards second class.
3rd Class - Shift engineer

Offline Jason R

• Administrator
    • Professional Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 06:58 »
Hey @AndyS ,

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it.

The last thing that'll ever happen is this place turning into a question bank library.

I won't be making any hasty moves; maybe it just takes a while for a forum to get active. When I do make some changes, I'll post about them wayyyyy in advance to get feedback.

Thanks again!
  • Certification: Second-Class, 1A1
Forum Administrator
Q: "What's it like being a forum admin?"
A: "I spend more time struggling with a system, that has had no major updates since 2004, than I do posting."

Offline AndyS

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 08:24 »
That sounds good! If all the members spread the word I am sure it will slowly become more active. Considering how this field is continually changing, its always great to be able to chat and/or read about different plants and experiences!

Not to mention the gain we can all get from networking and building good relationships with others for future jobs etc.

Cheers!
  • Certification: 3rd class, working towards second class.
3rd Class - Shift engineer